One fun way to encourage your child to love to read is to find books that speak to their interests. Non-fiction books offer your child variety and entry into a whole new world. Books about insects, astronomy, robots, gardening, etc. are all ways in involve your child in a new way while engaging them in reading.
In my blog today I want to suggest several art books which I think are great ways to explore the world of art with your child. Through them you can share an art activity as well as reading aloud to or with your child.
Here are some great examples of ART BOOKS FOR KIDS:
1. Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg. Workman Publishing Co. 2010
2. Ish by Peter H. Reynolds. Candlewick Publishers, 2004
3. Doodle Diary Art Journaling for Girls by Dawn Devries Sokol. Gibbs Smith Publishers 2010
4. Doodle Sketchbook Art Journaling for Boys by Dawn Devries Sokol , Gibbs Smith Publishers, 2010.
5. Van Gogh and the Sunflowers by Laurence Anholt Series – Barron’s Educational Series. (Also have books on Monet, Picasso, Degas, Matisse and more)
6. Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing and Painting, Printmaking, Paper and Mixed Media for Budding Artists of All Ages by Susan Schwake and Raner Schwake, Quarry Books.
The summer gives you the extra time to spend with your child. Through art experiences you can expand their abilities to love art and at the same time explore the world of non-fiction books.
Enjoy your summer!