I was recently introduced to Steven Layne’s newest book: Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
Layne’s message is about getting reluctant readers to become involved with books. Layne, calls these children the “disengaged” readers.
He says that we need to make reading an attractive choice for kids.
His message is his passion: Fostering the love of reading in kids.
According to Steve, “It’s the missing component in most schools, and something has to be done. Fewer kids are making the choice to read these days. Educators need to know that there’s something they can do. My goal is to give them hope and then offer them practical strategies to bring about change.”
In his new book, Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers, Steven Layne shows how to develop readers who are not only motivated to read great books but who also love reading in its own right.
Although this book is intended for classroom teachers, many of Layne’s points can be readily used at home.
Some of Layne’s recommendations are:
- Know your reader! Choose books especially for your child. Find books that match his/her interests.
- Set goals with your child. Be a positive role model. Read books yourself.
- Target how many books you are going to read together that week, or month.
- Read kids books yourself. Check out good children’s literature. Become familiar with what is new or may appeal to your child.
- Read aloud with your child. Find a book that you can enjoy together and read a chapter a night.
Summer is a time when we need to keep children reading. Find time to take your child to the library, or to your favorite bookstore. Pick out a book for yourself and let your child find a book that he/she wants to read. Make reading time a priority this summer and something you find time to do together.